Sunday 29 October 2017

Tea Light Christmas Lanterns / Giftboxes

Hello to you. Today I have a little project to share with you. 
I was invited to go and talk to a local WI group and was asked to do a quick project to do with Christmas so I designed a Tea Light Lantern that could double up ad a gift box. 
I will be the first one to put my hand up to say the measurements for this lantern aren't 100% but you can make a pretty cute gift box.


If you would like to download a copy for yourself then please  click here

 You can print this straight off onto pattern paper but I found it was better printing it off onto thick card stock.

 Cut around the solid lines, and cut out the template pieces.

Next you need to score and fold all the dotted lines and use the smaller template to cut out the windows. I found using a sharp blade and ruler the best way to do this or you can use scissors

 I painted the lantern cutout first with white gesso then when dry use IndigoBlu's Metallic Pheasant Bronze Acrylic paint. When this was dry I added strong double sided tape to all the roof and side tabs ready to stick the lantern together once the vellum was added.

 Use the larger window template to cut out some vellum or acetate to cover the windows. Again use a double sided tape to do this.

 To decorate the lantern I used a couple of Tim Holtz dies. I used Red card stock and the same patterned vellum I used for the lantern windows

 I decorated the red card stock with the French Script stamp by IndigoBlu and red ink

 The different sizes of the poinsettia cut in card stock and vellum were then layered together and a gold gem put into the centre.

 The leaves I had die cut were glued in place around the lantern and ribbon was added to finish off the lantern and a battery candle was added to the inside.



 I also used the Sizzix Bigz XL Luminary 3D Die to show the ladies different ways to make Lanterns, which again you can light up with battery candles.





I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and hope you will have a go at making a Lantern for yourself.

I have added this extra link on making small lanterns/ gift boxes. Click here
You will also find a YouTube video showing how I made them.
Happy Crafting xx

2 comments:

Please leave a comment...